Post 380 –by Gautam Shah
A design office deals with, and also generates a variety of Documents that contain some or the other forms of Specifications. Such Specification related documents are of following main categories:
1. Drawings: graphical representations and specifications written with them.
2. Literary explanations: Memos, site notes, interim reports.
3. Linkages: cross references to graphical representations, literary explanations and external specifications, standards, etc.
4. Time schedules:
Categories of Specifications that concern a Design organization are
- Documents related,
- Design office practices and routines that a vendor must know,
- Formats of communication with the design office and its job consultants,
- Site and job specific cares and precautions,
- Re-use, recycling and ‘safe’ disposal related requirements.
- Bill checking, certification procedures.
These requirements can also be stated as
- methods for interpretation of documents
- records keeping of corrections, alterations, revisions, etc.
- archiving methods for information, data and documents.
- definitions of laying out a job, location facilities, resources (free, chargeable etc.), hazards, conditions of access and usage.
- methods and means to achieve the quality standards for inputs and outputs.
- definitions of risks, hazards, (due to natural causes, ignorance, carelessness, fraud, malicious acts) and ways to predict, manage, eliminate and compensate them. Definition of mandatory obligations and responsibilities.
- work evaluation modes and methods.
- responsibilities and extent of liabilities for desired level of functionality, of parts and whole, means to fulfill them.
In-house specifications that are flourishing within a design organization can be categorized like:
- How to read (drawing sequencing) & co-ordinate other documents
- Graphical signs and symbols, Abbreviations
- References -upward, downward, sideways links
- Dimensions, Units, Quantities, numbers, fitments and tolerances
- Dates and schedules
- Assumptions / presumptions of Estimating
- How to request, revise and record changes in drawings and documents
- Quality and Quantity of raw materials,
- Delivery of goods,
- Handling (unloading, weights), unpacking, and storage of raw materials
- Raw material accounting -ordering, approvals, receipts & issue
- Management of residual raw materials, waste goods, rejected goods, packing materials, debris due to breakage of existing structures, garbage, fumes, smokes, pollutants, etc.
Site and Staff Management
- Chargeable services and free services on a site
- Maintenance of site or work areas during multi vendor access.
- Welfare, safety and security of people and goods on a site
- Ownership of site, goods, plants, partly completed and fully completed items
- Making good damages to surrounding environment and buildings
- Process of manufacture – assembly – installation
- During execution check ups/ precautions
- Post execution checkups / follow ups
- Operational parameters for the executed entity
- Guarantees and warranties and transfer to the owners
- Modules of measurement
- Mode of measurement
- Incidence of Taxes